Blackstone asks the Spanish government not to hinder rents with adverse measures

Eduard Mendiluce, CEO of Anticipa and Aliseda, firms participated by Blackstone questions the reform the current Spanish government is posing, on the Urban Rental Law, a reform that basically impacts in the length of contracts and the update of rents.

He criticizes the proposed two types of length: One lasting 3-5 years if the owner is a natural person or 3-7 years if the landlord is a firm. He considers that “a discriminatory distinction and has the only objective of penalizing institutional investors, with no benefit in this measure reaching most citizen”.

He also mentions the idea the government has to limit rents by law. In his opinion, it may have the opposite effect to what desired, and erode the target they pursue, to facilitate access to homes to low-income groups. The adverse effects that Mendiluce mentions on limiting rents (that didn’t work in Paris or Berlin before) were:

1) Drop of the offer of homes to rent, and increase in prices as a consequence.

2) Owners would be more strict, picking more solvent tenants, which will be a problem for families with families with fewer resources.

3) The price of rents will rise at first to mitigate the freezing effect on rents during the mandatory rent period.

4) A scenario of rents without the chance of updating of rents at market price will make owners pick selling the house, putting prices on the rise.

5) If the landlord cannot recover what it spent on improvements, reforms and home upkeeping, as the annual raise of the rent would limit itself to the CPI, the landlord would not invest in those.

6) No incentive to promote houses to rent.

Mr. Mendiluce ensures only 3% of all the homes to rent is currently managed by professionals (firms or institutional investors), so the rest (97%) is in the hands of private owners. In opposition, in Europe the professional market owns 30% of rents. Lastly, he underlines that in Spain, the public offer of social housing only involves 1.5% of the total offer, a figure that escalates up to 15% in our vicinity. “Spain has a lot of margin to improve in that aspect”, he added.

Source: Idealista. Translation by Miguel Vinuesa Magnet.

Comments are closed.

COOKIE POLICY

What are cookies

Cookies are small files that contain certain information about the user's browsing through the web page. Cookies are sent to the user's browser and stored on your computer.

Purpose of cookies

Cookies are used to capture information about the user's browsing, by analyzing it, to find out how the user interacts with www.copernicusservicing.com, and thus optimize the experience of browsing.

Types of cookies The cookies we use are:

- Analysis Cookies (Google analytics): they allow the monitoring and analysis of the user's behavior in order to introduce improvements according to the user's use of the web page and the services. According to Google, Google Analytics is a free web analytics tool that mainly allows website owners to know how users interact with their website. It also enables cookies in the domain of the site where you are and uses a set of cookies called "__ utma " and "__ UTMZ " To collect information anonymously and to produce web site trend reports without identifying individual users. Learn more about Google analytics at:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/cookie-usage

-Technical cookies: Allow the user to navigate through the website and use their different options or services.

Disabling cookies

Users can reject the possibility of us using cookies on their terminal computer by configuring their browser, but this will lead to a less satisfying browsing experience that can even be flawed. For more information on deactivating cookies visit:

https://support.mozilla.org/es/kb/Borrar%20cookies

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647?hl=es

http://windows.microsoft.com/es-xl/internet-explorer/delete-manage-cookies#ie=ie-11-win-7

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1677?viewlocale=es_ES